JEWELLERY CARE & CLEANING TIPS
THE GOLD STANDARD
Each item is checked and goes through stringent quality control measures to ensure it is in perfect condition when purchased by you.
CARING FOR YOUR JEWELLERY
To keep your jewellery looking as good as the occasion, we recommend professional inspection regularly (actual timing will depend on wear).
Bring your jewellery in to your nearest NWJ store and any damage or wear and tear can be detected and repaired if necessary. Gemstones and precious metals are gifts of nature which need special
care. Even though a gem may be millions of years old, once mined and worn, it is exposed to conditions and chemicals that can damage it.
Please take note of the following care instructions for your jewellery:
• Do not wear jewellery when doing strenuous work with your hands, like housework, DIY or gardening.
• Do not swim, shower or bath with your jewellery on
• Do not use handwash or expose your jewellery to water
• Do not use harsh chemicals on your jewellery
• Check for loose stones frequently.
• Store your jewellery away from natural sunlight and heat
• Do not store your jewellery in the bathroom
• Keep each item separately in a jewellery box, ideally individually wrapped, thus ensuring the items do not scratch each other.
• Clean your jewellery frequently to maintain its sparkle and beauty – don’t use toothpaste as its abrasive properties can damage softer gems and metals.
• Only clean your jewellery with NWJ Jewellery Cleaner
• Please note that NWJ gift boxes are not made for long-term storage as they are not air-tight and tarnishing will occur over time
For the best cleaning results, use NWJ jewellery cleaner (follow the instructions on the box) or a mild soap and warm water. It’s important to rinse jewellery in lukewarm running water after
cleaning and to dry thoroughly. Certain items require special care so please familiarise yourself with the best care for your pieces.
All jewellery, regardless of the type of metal, will obtain fine scratches from day to day wear. These can be polished out by a qualified jeweller.
Due to their delicate nature, chains will get damaged or break if not treated with care.
• Do not bend or pull to the point where it will break.
• Store carefully in a box.
• If broken once, the chain may continue to break as the links have been weakened.
• Not all chains can be repaired.
• Do not sleep with your chain on.
Clasps have a spring inside them which will wear over time and eventually need to be replaced. Clasps cannot be repaired.
Earrings are extremely delicate and must be treated with care. Be careful when opening and closing the earring catch as it will break if bent or pushed open too far. Do not sleep with your earrings
on as you could damage the pin.
The softer the gem, the more vulnerable it is to damage.
Although a diamond is the hardest gem known to man, which is the reason for saying that a “diamond is forever”, without the correct care, even diamonds can be damaged. All gemstones will loose
their lustre without the correct care and cleaning. Products such as hand cream and perfume will cause gemstones to look dull but regular cleaning will restore them to their original beauty.
GOLD: ROSE GOLD
The alloy of rose gold has a higher amount of copper than white or yellow gold. Due to the addition of copper to the alloy of rose gold, the intensity of rose gold will be lighter or darker and will
oxidize over time depending on the persons sensitivity.
GOLD: WHITE GOLD
To obtain white gold, other metals (e.g. Palladium) are added to yellow gold to change it to a white colour. Rhodium is then plated onto the jewellery to give the bright white finish. It is advisable to
rhodium plate white gold regularly to hold the lustre of the white gold. Frequency will depend on use.
GOLD: YELLOW GOLD
The alloy of yellow gold has a higher amount of brass alloy than white or rose gold. Due to the addition of copper to the alloy of yellow gold, the intensity of yellow gold will be lighter or darker and
will oxidize over time depending on the persons sensitivity.
• Do not knock pearls on hard surfaces.
• Do not expose pearls to chemicals, perfume or soap.
• Clean with a soft cloth and warm water only.
• Do not use chemicals, abrasives or traditional jewellery cleaner.
• Have pearl rings sized by a qualified jeweller only.
• Restring your pearls regularly (frequency will depend on wear).
Silver will naturally scratch and tarnish. Use our NWJ jewellery cleaner and cloth to clean your silver jewellery. It is important to rinse jewellery in lukewarm running water after cleaning and to dry
thoroughly. Any residue, cleaner or moisture left on jewellery will cause it to tarnish to a point that it cannot be restored to the original state. After cleaning with the jewellery cleaner, ensure that you
buff the item with a NWJ Jewellery Cloth to enhance the shine.
GOLD WITH A HEART OF SILVER
As with all precious jewellery, Soul jewellery requires careful handling. Do not expose to perfume, lotions or harsh chemicals. For the best cleaning results, use NWJ jewellery cleaner (follow the
instructions on the box) or a mild soap and warm water. It’s important to rinse jewellery in lukewarm running water after cleaning and to dry thoroughly.
Tanzanite is a rare and precious gemstone which is brittle and sensitive to extreme temperatures, wear and tear and different water conditions. Due to its nature, Tanzanite is not ideally suited for
everyday rings but is more suited to selective wear.
Titanium is one of the hardest metals known but it can and will scratch with normal everyday wear. As with all jewellery, titanium jewellery must be treated with care.
TUNGSTEN & ZIRCONIUM
Rings can be cleaned with a soft cloth.
We cannot be held responsible for items damaged due to negligence, misuse or accidental damage but will quote accordingly and endeavour to repair items where possible.
Gold jewellery can be polished and cleaned by a professional jeweller for a minimal cost, making it look like new again.
For your safety, and peace of mind, we recommend having all jewellery insured immediately on purchase with a reputable insurance company.